Family Birth Center
The Family Birth Center at Floyd has delivered babies for more than 40 years, making us
the most experienced in the area. Located on the third floor of Floyd Medical
Center, our team provides expert medical care and advanced technology in a
Our families get extra special
treatment with private rooms, breastfeeding consultation and all the services a
mom and baby could need—including neonatal intensive care—in one place.
Neonatal Intensive Care
Floyd is home to the area’s only Level
III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) [Link to NICU page], located on
the same floor as The Family Birth Center. We offer state-of-the-art care for
premature babies (born as early as 23 weeks) and newborns with special health
Take a Birth Center Tour
Join us for a free birth center
tour to learn more. During this private
tour, you’ll meet our maternity team, see our facilities and amenities, and have
a chance to ask questions to prepare for your delivery.
Birth Center Features and Amenities
Family Birth Center offers features and amenities promoting an intimate,
comfortable and safe labor and delivery.
Spacious Labor and Delivery
Moms labor and deliver in a private
room with space to walk around and change positions as needed. The rooms are
- Private bathroom with shower
- Bed for mother
- Sleep chair for your birth partner
- Birthing bars and mirrors
- Birthing balls and birthing peanut ball
- Wireless monitoring
Intimate Mother and Baby Rooms
After delivery, our new moms and
babies move to a private room set up for family bonding, recovery and visitors.
Room features include:
- Private bathroom with shower
- Adjustable bed for mom
- Crib for baby
- Sleep sofa for birth partner
- Breast pumps available upon request
- Room for personal items you bring from home
Operating Room (OR) Suite
Our operating room is on the same
floor as the birth center for Cesarean births. Whether it’s planned or not, our
experienced care team is nearby and ready.
While we encourage families to stay
together as much as possible, we have a secure Baby Lounge on the same floor.
This is a safe nursery where newborns get procedures, receive pediatrician
assessments or stay when mom needs a procedure or rest.
Food and Snacks
We have a wide array of dining
close to The Family Birth Center. In addition to room
service for mom (and partner, with payment), we offer:
- Café at Floyd, second floor—options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Green Mug Coffee, second floor—features Starbucks coffee, frozen yogurt and smoothies.
- Subway, first floor, Physician’s Center—includes breakfast items, pizza and subs.
- Vending Options, second floor—drink and snack machines are located near the chapel in
the North Lobby.
Commitment to Safety
We have several measures in place in The
Family Birth Center and across campus to ensure your family and visitors are safe.
- Controlled access points and security cameras in public areas
- Staff with photo identification badges
- Identification armbands for mom, partner and baby that are checked regularly
- Baby security sensors that sound an alarm if the baby is too close to doors or elevators
- Roving security outside and inside the hospital
Your Birth Center Care Team
The Floyd Birth Center team includes
skilled and knowledgeable providers who offer the best care for mom and baby.
- Obstetrician-gynecologists - Providers affiliated with your chosen practice deliver here 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Anesthesiologists - Certified medical providers are onsite around the clock to provide pain medicines when you need them.
- Labor and delivery nurses - Registered nurses with special training in labor and delivery assist throughout the birth process.
- Mother and baby nurses - Registered nurses with special expertise in postpartum care help you recover and care for your baby after delivery.
- Certified lactation consultants - These specialist help you breastfeed after your baby is born, if you choose, and after you return home with comprehensive breastfeeding services.
- Neonatologists - Doctors
and advanced providers who specialize in the care of newborns are here 24 hours
a day, seven days a week if your baby needs extra support after birth at our Level
III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.